Spectacular Lake Superior resort offers classic North Shore tradition with contemporary amenities; a place to relax, a romantic getaway, a family vacation, or an outdoor adventure, you’ll find the perfect blend of North Woods tradition and contemporary amenities at the iconic Lutsen Resort on Lake Superior’s North Shore.
Whether you just stop for a meal or stay for a week, you’ll experience the special sense of history and tradition which infuses this property. Walk the trails along the shore, stroll across the two covered bridges which span the Poplar River, enjoy the flowers and landscaped areas and admire the Scandinavian craftsmanship of the Lodge. The sense of tradition, along with the ever-changing nature of Lake Superior, will cast a spell over you, compelling you to return time and again.
Lodging Style and Amenities
The resort offers a wide variety of Lake Superior lodging including the Historic Scandinavian Lutsen Lodge where guests experience the amenities of a fine hotel, complete with restaurant, pub, pool, whirlpool, sauna, and game room. Or the luxury of the condominiums with in-room Jacuzzi’s and fireplaces or try one of the classic log cabins. Other options are to stay in a luxurious three bedroom townhome or sea-side Villa. Whatever your choice, you’ll enjoy the sights and sounds of Lake Superior’s North Shore from your lodging.
Guests experience the history and tradition of the resort through the classic lodge with its amenities, beautiful grounds and historic covered bridges over the Poplar River. Share the variety and quality of the resort amenities with friends and family:
- Lakeside Dining Room
- WatersMeet Massage & Wellness Center
- Swimming Pool
- Evening Beach Campfires
- Live Music in Lobby/Pub
- Game Room
- Par 3 Pitch & Putt Golf Course
- Disc Golf Course
- Biking Trails
- Bocce Ball
- Shuffleboard Court
There's an amazing number of things to do both at the resort and in the surrounding area. In addition to the many amenities Lutsen Resort offers, we have developed a variety of complimentary activities to enhance our guests’ stay. Our activities desk is staffed by knowledgeable people, who enjoy providing our guests with memorable experiences. The complimentary activities below are available to all guests of the resort:
- Guided Hikes
- Guided Sea Kayak Tours
- Charter Fishing on Superior*
- Naturalist Programs
- Cross Country Ski Tours
- Fly Fishing Classes
- Kid’s Camp
- Door-to-door shuttle to Lutsen Mountains
- Lobby Activities & Crafts
- Guided Family Sea-Kayak Tours
- Night Hikes
- Kid’s Pizza and Movie Night
- Free Use of Golf, XC Ski and Snowshoe Equipment
- Snowshoe Tours
The spectacular Superior National 27 hole golf course is adjacent, Lutsen Mountains Recreation Area with skiing, summer tram rides and an alpine slide is a few minutes away. Several State Parks with trails running along cascading rivers are nearby and the Superior Hiking Trail offers miles of great hiking with stunning views of the surrounding lake and forests.
Lutsen Resort is located just 90 minutes northeast of Duluth along Lake Superior's shore. The resort is off Highway 61 and if you follow the green mile markers, it is at mile marker 90.
Coming from the South:
The resort is a little more than 4 hours from the Twin Cities and is an easy drive. Take Interstate 35 north out of Minneapolis or St. Paul toward Duluth. Stay on 35 all the way through Duluth until you meet Highway 61. Follow Hwy 61 north to the resort (about 90 miles).
Coming from the North (Canada):
If you are driving from Canada, the resort is an easy 2 hour drive south from Thunder Bay along Hwy 61. Just head south out of Thunder Bay to the U.S. Border and continue on toward the village of Grand Marais. Pass through Grand Marais and continue on Hwy 61 about 18 miles until you see our sign at about mile marker 90.
If you are flying, the nearest U.S. commercial airport is located in Duluth. From there, it is a quick two hour drive up Highway 61. If you are coming from Canada, Thunder Bay, has commercial service and it's an easy 2 hour drive from there. Grand Marais, located 30 minutes away, has a small airport which accommodates private aircraft.
Address: P.O. Box 9
5700 W Highway 61
Lutsen, MN 55612
Lutsen Resort is located in a spectacular part of the world. We love the place in which we live and work and have a strong commitment to environmental stewardship. The resort has developed a multi-year plan to incorporate sustainable practices throughout our organization to protect Lake Superior and our wider environment.
Resort “Green” Actions:
- We compost kitchen scraps for use in gardening.
- We have installed over 3600 energy efficient light bulbs.
- We’ve installed refillable shampoo, conditioner and bodywash containers to reduce waste of small individual bottles.
- We’ve reduced paper use through email, electronic reporting & printing on recycled paper.
- Our used kitchen fryer oil fuels local bio-diesel vehicles.
- Our kitchen is committed to giving preference to small scale farmers and vendors using organic, sustainable and ecologically sound means of food production.
- We recycle newspapers, cardboard, plastic, glass, aluminum and steel.
- We’ve installed high efficiency water heaters in the lodge.
- Our septic systems are high-tech, well-managed and include wetlands treatment systems.
- Our development activities include storm water designs.
- We use organic fertilizers, green cleaning products and use no aerosol housekeeping products.
- We promote guest participation in water conservation by encouraging re-use of towels.
- Our staff use electric golf carts.
- We use separate fleets of kayaks for Lake Superior and inland lakes to prevent spread of aquatic invasive species.
Beyond environment stewardship, Lutsen Resort has a strong commitment to our wider community. As owners, managers and employees we support our community through volunteering our time and skills. In addition, Lutsen Resort contributes thousands of dollars each year locally in cash, food, lodging, staff time and donations of furniture, mattresses, glassware and equipment to individuals and numerous organizations.
The organizations which we support are critical to preserving the environment and to making this area a wonderful place to live, work and vacation.
Locally or Family-Owned Business Notes
Lutsen Resort is Minnesota's oldest resort. It is family owned and operated; the original Nelson family owned the Resort for three generations from 1885-1988.
Current owners, Scott Harrison and Nancy Burns, husband and wife, are onsite and have a high commitment to the preservation of the site and grounds. They are extremely appreciative of the special nature of the area and love to share this appreciation with this guests and acquaint them with the many spectacular views of the area.
The resort is also very committed to community service; owners and staff are involved in a great many philanthropic activities in the area.
Pet Friendly Notes
A number of the Sea Villa units accept dogs